Friday, October 12, 2012

Medication: One Month In Reflection

I wanted to write sooner, but life has gotten busy. School has picked up again, and I have been focused on reading (lots of reading) and writing (there should be more, but I'm a little behind).
After 1 month on Savella, numerous web searches for drug interactions, phone calls to the Nurse Practitioner at my doctor's office, and two follow up visits (1 for vein health), I think the prescription is working. I've adjusted my eating habits to have a heartier and healthier breakfast: either organic oatmeal or Greek yogurt and a raw granola bar (I love Fage Peach Greek Yogurt and KIND Coconut Almond Bars- plus KIND has this amazing mission to give back to the global community, which as a sociologist, I get so jazzed about).  I drink a lot more water than I did before I started the meds and am trying to maintain a regular sleep pattern.

From my mother-in-law's garden.
I don't have much more to say about the experience other than to express my gratitude and that's it's been really positive.  I am so thankful I was able to talk openly with my doctor about what I needed and wanted to try, for the staff at the study I wanted to participate in for giving me a wake-up call, and for my husband who has walked this path me.  I am grateful that I have the clarity of mind I had before my diagnosis. I am grateful that I can function better- no sleeping on the couch after work, no naps in my car at lunchtime, and less painful steps first thing in the morning.

Now that I am better than I have been in a long time, I have a few agenda items to take care of. First and foremost, I need to get back on track with my thesis. For that, it will take reading, writing, and editing. I'm planning to do a content analysis of social networking sites, like Twitter, to better understand how social movement organizations create a sense of solidarity with their supporters, activists, and followers. It's very interesting and difficult as a new Twitter user not to skew my own data by tweeting and retweeting some of the organizations I follow. I've been called a nerd for my interests and growing knowledge on the subject, but I really don't care. It's almost funny to me now to see the look on people's face when I try to explain to them what I am doing, or what I hope to do at least. I love what I'm pursuing and that is all that matters- well that and the end result.

The second most important thing I plan on working on is my health. I've been out of shape for some time now, and I'm ready to get moving again. I've scoped out a few gyms and am planning on joining the Y; their sliding scale family rates are great and we are on a budget- so that matters. Plus the kiddos can take swim lessons, go to camp, and have a free place to hang out while my husband and I workout (or attempt to).

Finally, I need a hobby that is about me. While I love to read and have read some great books (which I will write another post on), I really want to get back to doing the things that make me uniquely me. I miss taking photographs with my dad's old camera, I miss going to yoga class, and I really miss playing the piano. I want to save up to get my piano fixed (it was my great Aunt's piano and the keys need to be refelted) and then I want to take lessons again. I tried playing the guitar, but the I can't turn my wrists the right way without experiencing some pain. I think I'd also like to be crafty too; I'd love to learn to sew, repurpose old furniture, and make our living space more organized and functional (can you tell I play on Pinterest way too much?).

So that's what I've been thinking about and working on this last month. I hope by my next reflective post I have at least started one of things things and continued it for more than a week. I'll let you know. In the meantime, if you are considering talking to your doctor about medication for your FMS, consider your options, do your research, and ask a lot of questions.  It has been so worth it for me to come out of my medication naivety, and to start taking better care of myself. It's helped me emotionally and physically, and now I can start focusing on living again.

No comments:

Post a Comment