Monday, April 9, 2012

Departure: The end of one journey, and the start of another


I have moved and traveled for the majority of my short life. I was born in Texas and moved to Kentucky, Virginia, and Maryland before I reached my freshman year of high school. At the end of my sophomore year, my mom moved to Montreal, where I lived with her for a year before moving back to Maryland to live with my dad for my senior year of high school. After graduation, I wanted to move back north, and found myself in the Eastern Townships of Quebec for 4 years of college. In college, I moved from campus, to an off-campus apartment, and then back to campus again. During that time, my dad and step-mom moved to Indiana to care for their aging relatives, where I joined them after graduating. I am no stranger to moving, relocating, and starting over, and have always considered myself able to adapt to new things in my life with ease. I dreamed of living and working in Paris or London, enticed by the idea of big city living, in foreign places; I day dreamed about holidays spent in traveling through Europe, possibly going to Southeast Asia and all points beyond. There were no limits to where my imagination could take me, no journey I wouldn't embark on if given the opportunity; I knew where my roots were, but I wanted to see how far my wings could take me. 

It was 2007, and I was waking up for work. My alarm had gone off, and I had just begun to open my eyes to the sunshine that had flooded my apartment. It was almost summer, and already getting warm inside and out of my one-bedroom. I had the brief flickering thought that I was possibly late for work, and as the panic set in I realized I would never forget this morning. I thought I was going to scream, but I wasn't sure that would really resolve the intense pain I was feeling. It didn't take long for me to realize the cause of my intense discomfort; my arms were crossed tightly across my body, my hands were clenched into fists and locked shut, my jaw was locked closed, and my legs were bent at my knees. I felt like my body was a discarded, crumpled piece of paper. I'm not sure how I managed to come untangled. I'm not even sure now how long it took, but it felt like hours before I could put my feet on the floor and drag myself to my shower.

The next few hours are fuzzy, a now common occurrence in my life. I remember driving to work almost two hours late, explaining to my boss over the phone the intense pain I was feeling. I remember my tears were hot streaming down my face, and I was grateful for the flexibility in our office- I was wearing jeans and no make-up. I remember turning around when I was almost to work, convinced by my boss to call my doctor, stay home for the day, and rest. I remember the short burst of relief I felt when my doctor managed to fit me in that day, but my pain was still there. My doctor was able to give me a two week script for a pain killer, enough to get me by until I could see one of the three arthritis doctors she referred me to. When I asked what was wrong with me, she replied "It could be one of three things: rheumatoid arthritis, Lupus, or Fibromyalgia." None of my options sounded too good.

In between doctors’ visits, blood work, reading up on all three of my potential diagnoses, and waiting at the pharmacy for whatever remedies that could be supplied; I knew my life was changing. I felt like I was on a merry-go-round of emotions, contemplating my own mortality, doubting my sanity, and blaming myself and my actions for what I was going through (I thought my experience was part of some cosmic, universal punishment; my karmic fruit if you will). A few weeks later, my diagnosis was confirmed by a rheumatologist: Fibromylagia was the big winner.

That was the day I began my journey into something I knew nothing about- chronic pain. That was almost 5 years ago. I was 24.

No comments:

Post a Comment